Monday, 25 June 2012

Gingermelon Dolls in the making - Part 2


So here are the little dolls with all their body parts joined with the threads that I left hanging after stuffing each part      
 Next I give them hair, on these dolls white is my favorite, on my larger dolls Red is.
 Then it is time to dress them.  They kinda take on their little personality when you dress them.  So it is fun to decide just what they are going to wear.  I usually do a felt bodice with a little skirt attached as I think this looks sweet.
 So now after hand sewing the dress, she just needs her shoes and hair done.  I attach her hair to her scalp at the back and to the sides of her little face so it sits better
And here she is all finished.  I brush powdered blush on her cheeks with an eye shadow blush for a bit of colour.  Hope you like her!


5 comments:

  1. She is so darling! I found you from a google search because I am making a gingermelon doll and was looking for more instructions for the hair. Do you mind if I ask what yarn you used for her hair? It is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, I live in Australia. We have stores here called Lincraft and the wool is their own brand. It is called Big Wool. It is 50% wool and 50 % acrylic. I use a felting needle to attach it to the head.i start at the head seam and felt hair in either side. I usually do a side part so then I work on that, and then I fill in the rest of the hair. You don't want to go too thick as it makes the head too heavy for the doll. Also I hope you read part one and saw I find it better to close the head at the top rather than the chin.
      Here are some more pics of the finished dolls

      http://silverheartcreations.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/gingermelon-dolls.html?m=1

      Delete
  2. Hi Kerry,
    I did see part 1 and all of your finished dolls are just darling. Thanks for the info on the wool yarn. I have some yarn I was going to try sewing in because I think it is only 35% wool and 65% acrylic. Do you think that would work to felt to the head? Good to know about the thickness and I agree about closing on top of the head. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly give it a try. It will be much easier than sewing. Plus if it doesn't work it will be covered up when you sew the hair. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. OK I tried it and it worked pretty well, but I ended up sewing the roots in place just in case since it is for a 3 year old. I appreciate your help!

    ReplyDelete